Quantum Dot Features:
- It is a semiconductor Nanocrystal which is made of specific materials.
- It has a discrete quantized energy spectrum.
- It contains a small finite number of conduction band electrons, valence band holes, or excitons.
- They are typically between 10 and 50 nm in size
- They glow a particular colour after being illuminated by light.
- The colour they glow depends on the size of the nanoparticle. The smaller the nanoparticle, the higher the energy difference between the valence band and conduction band, which results in a deeper blue colour. For a larger nanoparticle, the energy difference is lower, which shifts the glow toward red.
- It has many applications in several areas such as solar cells, transistors, LEDs, medical imaging and quantum computing.